Well, it is possible to move email addresses between AppleIDs. I had 2 AppleIDs, 1 for purchases/messages/facetime and one for everyth’ng else (iCloud). I didn’t want to delete either account (losing purchases or iCloud data) but I wanted the email address that was the purchasing appleid as a “also reachable” email address on my “primary” iCloud account so that I could use things like messages in the cloud and apple pay via messages. After pulling my hair out at several points, this is how I accomplished it.
- log in to appleid.apple.com with the purchasing apple id.
- use the “rename appleid” option to pick another valid email address. Having a vanity domain makes this simple :). Verify it.
- ON ALL DEVICES log out of the old purchasing/messaging apple id. This is where I stumbled as I have more devices signed in than I realized and thought I’d caught all of them.
- log in to appleid.apple.com with the primary icloud account
- add an “reachable at” email address with the old email address and verify it.
- log into app store on all the devices with the renamed purchasing appleid.
- log into messages and FaceTime on all the devices with the primary iCloud account.
- Turn on messages in the cloud on all the devices.
- Blog it.